June 16, 2019
8:30 a.m. -Depart Antonito, Colorado by train; Return by luxury motorcoach 7:15 p.m.
7:00 a.m. -Depart Chama, New Mexico by luxury motorcoach; Return by train 6:00 p.m.
Peter W. Lipman, Emeritus Scientist for the U.S. Geological Survey, will again be a part of the Geology Train! Peter Lipman is well-known to many for his magnificent scientific accomplishments in the field of volcano geology including field mapping, studies of ancient and active volcanoes, documentation of gigantic submarine landslides, and volcano hazards. You can most likely reach him on the slopes of Mauna Loa or in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado. Peter is a recipient of the Distinguished Service Award from the Geological Society of America for his service as Councilor, and member of the Executive Committee (2000-2003), Budget Committee, Finance Committee, and Audit Committee from 2000-present.
Geology Train Trip Options:
- Geology Train departs Antonito Depot at 8:30am and arrives at Chama Depot around 6:00pm. Motorcoach departs Chama Depot at 6:15pm and arrives back at Antonito Depot at 7:15pm.
- Motorcoach departs Chama Depot at 7:00am and arrives at Antonito Depot at 8:00am. Geology Train departs Antonito Depot at 8:30am and arrives back at the Chama Depot around 6:00pm.
For all Geologists – from the newly-interested to the practiced professional.
On June 16th, a special train will depart to traverse spectacular geology along the 64 miles of Cumbres & Toltec track. But simply experiencing the incredible overviews of the Rio Grande Rift, the eruptive evidence of the San Juan Volcanic Field, the Precambrian core of the Tusas Mountains, recent glacial deposits, and snapshots of the Jurassic, will not be enough. This special train will stop at many outcroppings and rail cuts along the right of way, so passengers may mingle, marvel and collect photographs. These unique experiences are only accessible on the train route.
The opportunities are priceless:
- Join a cadre of distinguished Geologists for a truly extraordinary day on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad.
- Traverse the entire 64 miles of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad!
- The railroad passes through one of the most unique, varied geologic areas in the U.S. and it is the ONLY way to see all those sights.
- See metamorphic rock as old as that at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
- The train will make a number of stops along the route to allow the Geologists to interpret the various Geologic points of interest.
- Lunch at Osier, Colorado is included in the ticket price.
- View and marvel at volcanoes, unusual rock formations, multiple volcanic deposits, tunnels, and an untouched landscape.
- A mile by mile Geologic rail log will be provided to each participant.
- All participants will be able to disembark to walk through Rock Tunnel and then have the opportunity to photograph the locomotive as she emerges from the tunnel!
- Ride the Historic Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad and be prepared to “Get Rocked!”
All Fares Are Subject To A 7% Historical Preservation Fee.
For Reservations By Phone: 1-888-286-2737
Please be careful to book the trip you want,
either leaving from Antonito at 8:30 a.m.
or leaving from Chama at 7:00 a.m.
Lunch is at 2pm. Small coolers of non-alcoholic beverages and snacks are allowed.
Please bring sunglasses, sunscreen, layered clothing, and enclosed toe shoes.
Most of the day is spent at or above 9,000′. Please make sure you are able to handle long periods of time at this elevation.