America’s Highest, Longest and Most Authentic Steam Railroad to Offer Six New Options, including Simplified Full-Day, Shorter Trips & Historic Consist
CHAMA, NM and ANTONITO, CO, February 26, 2021…The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (C&TSRR) will begin its 51st season on June 5, 2021, running coal-fired steam locomotives from Antonito, Colorado and Chama, New Mexico through October 24, 2021.
The historic steam railroad, owned by the states of Colorado and New Mexico, will offer all new route schedules. New this year are simplified all-day trips, shorter options and a thrilling, new, once a month special historic consist, the San Juan & New Mexico Express, pulled by the newly refurbished 1883 engine No. 168.
“Because of the pandemic, we simplified our offerings so riders will return to the same station they originated from,” said Eric Mason, Interim CEO of the C&TSRR. “The new schedule makes it easier for passengers on our full-day trains who will now park at either Antonito or Chama, ride the train to Osier, have a delicious lunch stop with panoramic views, and return back to the station where their car is parked. We’re also adding shorter rides, special Friday noon trains and the highly anticipated San Juan & New Mexico Express pulled by historic engine No. 168 and sure to thrill railfans and history buffs.”
NEW IN 2021: SIX NEW CONVENIENT TICKET OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR FULL-DAY, HALF-DAY AND SPECIAL HISTORIC RIDES
FULL- DAY: The standard, full-day trips are the Chama All-Aboard and Antonito All-Aboard. Both trains pass through forests of aspens and conifers with breathtaking Rocky Mountain scenery on a full day of steam railroading adventure that includes a delicious lunch at Osier Station.
- Chama All-Aboard! From June 5 – September 12, 2021, round-trip trains will depart five days a week from Chama at 10 a.m. to Osier, then return to Chama at 4:05 p.m. Starting on September 13, an additional trip will be added for six departures a week. All full day round-trip trains will climb the steep grade to the summit of Cumbres Pass at 10,015 feet, steam over Cascade Trestle and include a full lunch stop at beautiful Osier Station.
- Antonito All-Aboard! From June 8- September 12, 2021, round-trip trains will depart five days a week from Antonito at 10 a.m. to Osier, then return to Antonito by 4:40 p.m. Starting September 13 – October 24, 2021, the roundtrip train from Antonito CO will operate daily, seven days a week. All full day round trips will steam through two tunnels, pass through Phantom Canyon and along the lip of Toltec Gorge and include a full lunch stop at beautiful Osier Station.
SHORTER TRIPS: The C&TSRR is introducing three new shorter trip options, perfect for day-trippers, families and those who want more time to explore the beauty and attractions along the New Mexico and Colorado border. These are:
- Cumbres Express This shorter new route will depart from the top of Cumbres Pass at 11:10 a.m., steam to Osier Station for a full lunch and return to Cumbres Depot at 2:45 p.m. Trains will operate five days a week from June 5-September 12, 2021 and six days a week from Sept 13-Oct 24, 2021. Located at an elevation of 10,015 feet, the Cumbres Depot is the highest point reached by any steam train in North America and this shorter version ride will give you a wonderful taste of steam railroading in the Rockies, along with a delicious lunch.
- Chama High Noon What could be more exciting than listening for the train whistle at High Noon in Chama and catching a thrilling ride to the top of Cumbres Pass and back? This quick excursion train will operate on Fridays from June 11 – Oct 22, 2021, departing Chama Station at 12 p.m. and returning at 2:30 p.m. , steaming across meadows, through forests and over rivers to Cumbres Pass and back. Lunch is not included on this ride.
- Antonito Express This shorter, family friendly ride chugs along the high mountain desert and offers views of a shield volcano just miles away. This trip departs Antonito at 11 a.m. and travels to Big Horn, returning back to Antonito at 2:30 p.m. Lunch is not provided on this trip but there are snacks, beverages, and a full bar available in the concession car. The Antonito Express will depart daily from May 29 – June 4 and then will run three Sundays per month through mid-September. (June 6, 13, 20; July 4, 11, 18; August 1, 8, 22, 29 and September 5 & 12).
SPECIAL TRIPS: Rail fans and history buffs will want to reserve a spot soon for a ride on the San Juan & New Mexico Express, which will run once a month and offer the most authentic experience of 19th Century Railroading.
- San Juan & New Mexico Express For train buffs around the world, this is an unprecedented historic railroading experience. Historic 1883 steam locomotive No. 168 will pull a train of all authentic 19th century Denver & Rio Grande cars on the exact same tracks across the Rocky Mountains that it originally did from 1883-1938. What is truly remarkable is that engine No. 168 sat outside in Antlers Park, Colorado Springs for 75 years. The engine was completely exposed to the elements of snow, hail and rain. It has been completely restored to its original 1883 brilliant appearance and is one of only two locomotives of its class left in the world. These special excursions from Antonito will be “bucket list” trips with an historic locomotive and historic cars and are limited to just 60 people. Departures are scheduled for one Sunday each month – June 27, July 25, August 15, Sept. 19, Oct. 24. The train will depart Antonito at 10 a.m., traveling to Osier Station for a delicious lunch and return to Antonito at 4:40 p.m. This trip will sell out quickly so make reservations!
A RAIL FAN FANTASY – RENT YOUR OWN PRIVATE CAR: Also available in 2021, get together with up to 20 friends and rent your own private rail car. Perfect for family reunions, special birthdays and anniversaries, or for those who want more privacy. By renting a private car, you can save significantly on regular full ticket prices (depending on class of service and number of riders). This year, private cars of any class can be reserved with lunch included.
The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is “The Best Train Ride in America” … USA Today 10Best
The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is the highest, longest and best preserved steam railroad in America, voted by the readers of USA Today in 2020, 2019 and 2017 to be the most scenic train ride in the nation. The historic steam train follows the original 64-miles of tracks first laid down in 1880, crossing the borders of Colorado and New Mexico 11 times, as it skirts along canyon walls through Toltec Gorge, burrows through tunnels, steams over Cascade Trestle (137-feet above a roaring river), and climbs to the top of 10,015-foot Cumbres Pass, the highest point reached by any steam railroad in North America.
The railroad has been featured in more than 40 motion pictures, including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The railroad also has the country’s largest collection of narrow gauge locomotives and cars.
Traveling on the train provides the most authentic look at steam railroading in the 1880s. In 2021, passengers must wear masks, however they can still move between cars, ride outdoors on a gondola car, listen to a steam whistle echo down a canyon, enjoy mile after mile of aspen and conifer forest, see wildlife such as elk, deer and sometimes even bear from their seats, or visit the bar and snack car — all at a pleasant top speed of 12 mph.
To book your trip and for complete information, visit: www.cumbrestoltec.com or call 1-888-286-2737.
# # # ALL ABOARD! # # #