CHAMA, NM and ANTONITO, CO, JUNE 8, 2020….The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (C&TSRR) will launch its 2020 season on Saturday, June 13 with its first train of the season departing from Antonito, CO and a modified schedule of departures from only Antonito.
“We are hopeful that we will have permission to run trains out of Chama, NM soon,” noted John Bush, president/CEO of the C&TSRR. “Because the train operates in two states, we have to follow the guidelines of each state. The town of Chama, only 50 minutes from Antonito, is open for business and welcomes visitors. ”
The historic steam railroad, twice voted North America’s most scenic train by the readers of USA Today, will follow a modified schedule:
- Beginning Saturday, June 13, 2020 there will be departures out of Antonito, CO only. Trains will leave from Antonito, CO and stop at historic Osier, CO for a delicious lunch, included in the ticket price before returning back to the Antonito station. Trains are running out of Antonito on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Departures from Chama, NM have been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19 restrictions in New Mexico. Once restrictions have been lifted, the railroad intends to add departures from Chama.
- There will be no departures on Mondays no half-day rides.
- From September 12 – October 18, two trains are expected to depart daily and run between Antonito and Chama with a lunch stop at Osier Station, following the traditional C&TSRR schedule.
- If you need to cancel your reservation this season, you will get a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours prior to your trip.
- Masks are required for all passengers and there will be a temperature check before boarding the train. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher will be refunded their ticket and refused a ride on the train.
- The 2020 schedule is subject to change and passengers will be required to follow all current federal and state safety precautions. Passengers are encouraged to check the website for the most up-to-date information.
“People were riding this railroad before the Statue of Liberty was built or the first National Park was opened,” noted Bush. “This railroad has steamed through our country’s great history, in both challenging and prosperous times. We are grateful to continue our tradition of showcasing the untamed beauty of the Rocky Mountain West as it has been for centuries. These modifications were made to safeguard our passengers’ safety and the viability of the railroad during these unprecedented times. ”
2020 Special Departures
The C&TSRR will also offer a limited number of special departures in 2020. Reservations are strongly encouraged, and departures are subject to change. Special departures include:
- Wildflower/Botany Train, August 2, 2020. This once-a-year special ride features acclaimed botanists who will discuss the native wildflowers and plants along the route.
- Dark Sky Dinner Train with Flamenco Guitar, August 15,2020. Leaves Chama at 5 p.m., dinner on Cumbres Pass, with Flamenco guitar and festive attire encouraged. The train returns to Chama under a sky full of starts and a Dark Sky.
- Sunset Dinner Train & Speakeasy, September 19, 2020. Leaves Chama at 5 p.m., dinner on Cumbres Pass, with Speakeasy musicians and Roaring 20s attire encouraged. The train returns to Chama by 9 p.m.
Note that the sold out Fireman & Engineering Schools will operate as originally scheduled. Please check the website for up to the minute changes.
Historic Re-Launch of the #168 Postponed
The first official appearance of historic engine No. 168 has been postponed. The #168, one of only two locomotives of its class left in the world, has been completely restored to its original 1883 brilliance and was slated to return on Opening Day in 2020. Plans for the historic reintroduction of the storied #168 have been placed on hold. The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad will announce a new launch date as soon as possible.
Advance Reservations Recommended
With the abbreviated schedule, many rides on the C&TSRR, especially September fall color departures, will sell out well in advance. With historic equipment, it is not always possible to add additional cars to meet demand. To ensure that there are seats on the dates you want to ride, the railroad advises to please make reservations in advance at www.cumbrestoltec.com
For complete information, visit: cumbrestoltec.com or call 1-888-286-2737.