On Opening Day, May 26, 2018, ride the rails with our guest, the #315 for the Osier Dinner Train. This special train departs from Cumbres Pass, stops at Osier for a Prime Rib, luscious fish, or savory chicken dinner. Entertainment will be provided. The train heads to Antonito, CO to detrain.
Locomotive #315 Photo Freight Charter – The Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad
Date: June 2 & 3, 2018
The Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad are offering another photo freight charter featuring Locomotive 315! This charter follows work session “B.”
The charter will operate from Antonito (tentative 8am departure) to Cumbres on Saturday June 2nd with around a 10 car mixed freight train and return via motorcoach to the Antonito Depot. On Sunday June 3rd a motorcoach will take our group from the Antonito Depot to Cumbres and the charter will work its way back to Antonito.
There will be plenty of photo runbys plus lunch, beverages & snacks both days included in the fare. Our capacity will be limited to 45 riders each day. We are offering Friends members the discounted fare of $235/day per person. General Public Fare: $285/day per person.
Call 505-880-1311 for information/reservations or e-mail Tim Tennant, [email protected] The cutoff date to determine is the charter has enough people to operate is Monday April 16, 2018. Let’s fill this train up!
Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc
4421 McLeod Road NE, Suite F
Albuquerque, NM 87109
Get Rocked Geology Train – Back by Popular Demand!
June 17, 2018
The annual Geology Train is back by popular demand.
This year, the C&TS RR welcomes Peter W. Lipman, Emeritus Scientist for the U.S. Geological Survey. Peter Lipman is well-known to many for his magnificent scientific accomplishments in the field of volcano geology including field mapping, studies of ancient and active volcanoes, documentation of gigantic submarine landslides, and volcano hazards. You can most likely reach him on the slopes of Mauna Loa or in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado. Peter is a recipient of the Distinguished Service Award from the Geological Society of America for his service as Councilor, and member of the Executive Committee (2000-2003), Budget Committee, Finance Committee, and Audit Committee from 2000-present.
Geology Train Trip Options:
- Geology Train departs Antonito Depot at 8:30am and arrives at Chama Depot around 6:00pm. Motorcoach departs Chama Depot at 6:15pm and arrives back at Antonito Depot at 7:15pm.
- Motorcoach departs Chama Depot at 7:00am and arrives at Antonito Depot at 8:00am. Geology Train departs Antonito Depot at 8:30am and arrives back at the Chama Depot around 6:00pm.
For all Geologists – from the newly-interested to the practiced professional.
On June 17th, a special train will depart to traverse spectacular geology along the 64 miles of Cumbres & Toltec track. But simply experiencing the incredible overviews of the Rio Grande Rift, the eruptive evidence of the San Juan Volcanic field, the Precambrian core of the Tusas Mountains, recent glacial deposits, and snapshots of the Jurassic, will not be enough. This special train will stop at many outcrops and rail cuts along the right of way, to mingle, marvel and collect photographs, samples and experiences only accessible on the train route.
The opportunities are priceless:
• Join a cadre of distinguished Geologists for a truly extraordinary day on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad!
• Traverse the entire 64 miles of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad!
• The railroad passes through one of the most unique, varied geologic areas in the US and it is the ONLY way to see all those sights.
• See metamorphic rock as old as that at the bottom of the Grand Canyon!
• The train will make a number of stops along the route to allow the Geologists to interpret the various Geologic points of interest!
• Lunch at Osier, Colorado is included in the ticket price!
• View and marvel at volcanoes, unusual rock formations, multiple volcanic depositions, tunnels and an untouched landscape.
• A mile by mile Geologic rail log will be provided to each participant.
• All participants will be able to disembark to walk through Rock Tunnel and then have the opportunity to photograph the locomotive as she emerges from the tunnel!
• Ride the Historic C&TS RR and be prepared to “Get Rocked”!
All Fares Are Subject To A 7% Historical Preservation Fee.
For Reservations By Phone: 1-888-286-2737
Monday – Friday 8AM – 4PM MST.
Please call 1-888-286-2737
E-Mail: [email protected]
Details to be announced soon.
Trains Magazine 50th Anniversary – Final Freight Train, Special Charter
Limited seating is available for this special charter train hosted by Trains Magazine. The cost is $649.00 and reservations must be called into the Chama Depot at 1-888-286-2737. Scheduled events are listed below:
Friday, August 24, 2018 – Evening Photo Session, Chama Rail Yard
Saturday, August 25, 2018 – Chama to Antonito special Charter Commemorative Freight Train, Double Header with #484 and #483, Hot Lunch at Osier Station, Multiple photo run-bys, Luxury Motor Coach stopping at Cumbres Pavilion for Prime Rib Dinner & special program. At the end of the program, Luxury Motor Coach returning to Chama.
Sunday, August 26, 2018 – Luxury Motor Coach transfer Chama to Antonito, 20 car Freight Train westbound Antonito to Chama, Double Header with #484 and #483, Multiple photo run-bys, Hot lunch Osier Station.
Photo Credit: R.B. Sperry
Galloping Goose #5
Our Galloping Goose trains in 2017 were also a big success. Thanks to all those who welcomed and hosted our Goose migration! The Goose will be returning in 2018. Dates will be announced soon.
July, Aug, Sept & Oct Classes
Have you ever dreamed of shoveling coal or pulling on a throttle? Check out the Fireman & Engineer school for a chance to live out your dream!
Available Dates: (June Classes are Sold Out)
- July 8, 2018
- August 5, 2018
- September 9, 2018
- September 30, 2018
- October 7, 2018
Sunset Dinner Trains
Dates for 2018:
- May 26, 2018, Opening Day #315 Osier Dinner Train, Cumbres to Antonito, Entertainment TBA
- 4th of July Dinner Train, 5:00 P.M. – Chama to Cumbres and back by train 10:00 p.m., Entertainment TBA, special 4th of July contest for patriotic attire. See the best fireworks show from the train at the front row of the display. Passengers are then returned by train to the parking lot at the Chama Depot.
- July 28, 2018, Saturday Night Dinner Train, 5:00 p.m. – Chama to Cumbres and back by train 9:00 p.m., Costume Contest, Theme and entertainment TBA.
- August 11, 2018, During Chama Days, Saturday Night Dinner Train 5:00 p.m. – Chama to Cumbres and back by train 9:00 p.m. Costume Contest, Theme and entertainment TBA.
- September 15, 2018, Saturday Night Dinner Train, 5:00 p.m. – Chama to Cumbres and back by train 9:00 p.m., Costume Contest, Theme and entertainment TBA.
- October 13, 2018, Speakeasy Saturday Night Dinner Train, 5:00 p.m. – Chama to Cumbres and back by train 9:00 p.m., Costume Contest.
Join us for differently themed dinner trains to Cumbres Pass. Dress up for a chance to win prizes!